My name is Roger Miles and I am in my second year of part-time foundation at Chelsea College of Art and Design. This is my second career - my first was that of a Chartered Accountant and I spent over 30 successful and exciting years at Deloitte.
I have chosen to take the Fine Art option for the remainder of my foundation course.
What inspires me in art ?
- Images of decay including rust, peeling paint, fading colours and materials
- Colour - at the age of 40 I spent 4 days painting with a professional artist - Susan Jane Hocking is an RA and a colourist and I had bought one of her early paintings at the Royal Academy summer exhibition - she subsequently taught me how to mix oil paints and how to use raw pigment and colour to good effect in paintings.
- Painters and illustrators including Mark Rothko, Peter Doig, Vincent Van Gogh,Sean Sculley, Chuck Close, The Boyle Family, Glen Baxter, Edward Hopper and Francis Bacon,
- Photographers including Andreas Gursky, Jeff Wall, Fay Godwin, the Wilson Sisters, Rodney Graham, Isaac Julien and Wolfgang Tillmans,
- Sculptors and installation artists including Barbara Hepworth, David Smith, Hamish Fulton, Henry Moore and Sarah Sze,
- Large scale installation artists including Fiona Banner and Mark Wallinger and this piece by Chris Burden from the Chelsea parade ground
Lessons learnt during rotations
- Do not be literal - aim for intriguing,
- Experiment - you don't have to know where your piece is headed,
- Use a variety of processes and introduce random elements to improve creativity,
- Multiples work,
- Slow down - speed up,
- Include humour, be playful and carry on being inquisitive,
- Rotation summaries and lessons learnt on my blog ,
- Visual Communications - http://jogroglog.blogspot.com/2010/09/viscomm-round-up.html,
- 3D Spatial - http://jogroglog.blogspot.com/2010/10/3d-spatial-round-up.html,
- Fashion Textiles - http://jogroglog.blogspot.com/2010/10/fashion-textiles-round-up.html,
- Fine Art - http://jogroglog.blogspot.com/2010/10/fine-art-round-up.html.
What would I do in Fine Art ?
- I want to do a BA in Fine Art - preferably at Chelsea - so I will focus on putting together my portfolio and producing some more interesting pieces during the rest of this term and the early part of next term,
- Mix painting, photography and sculpture,
- Stretch myself and look for new challenges,
- Explore larger scale photography and large installations,
- Experiment, fail, succeed,
- Build wondrous worlds.