Sunday 11 December 2011

Scarlett Hooft Graafland


Saw this poster on my Amsterdam trip - anyone called Scarlett Hooft Graafland must be worth further investigation ...


I turns out she took the lemonade igloo photo below.

In an interview with Scarlett Hooft Graafland who spent four months living in the Inuit community of Igloolik working on a photography series, You Winter, let's get divorced. Graafland says:

For my project Lemonade Igloo, I made frozen blocks of orange lemonade, cast them in wooden boxes, and asked traditional Inuit men to build an igloo out of the blocks. It took a whole day – you have to glue all the pieces together with snow and water to make a strong structure out of it. A big job.




Wierdly, I had seen this photo some years ago and used it for a painting - here it is in a strange winter light.


See website below for many other interesting photos - I particularly like the Reykjavik Roof series





No comments:

Post a Comment