Thursday 22 December 2011

Famous for 15 minutes





Recently, and probably since I got some new Elvis Costello style glasses, I have been recognised a number of times as somebody famous.


The first was the Amazon delivery man who wondered if I was the Roger Miles, the well known singer. See Roger Miles - singer


The second was when Alan Yentob saw me in a restaurant and definitely looked at me as someone he recognised from the business and who would make an ideal candidate for his new Imagine TV series.


But the best one occurrence was by the receptionist in the local physiotherapy surgery, who asked me if I was the guy that played the bongos at her recent birthday party!
I have since started to wonder whether she really meant playing the bongos  ...


This reminds me of a similar strange conversation I had in May of this year ...


On my jog round the leg of mutton reservoir this morning, I was stopped by a smartly dressed man of circa 50 years old carrying a slim briefcase. He asked me, in a slight foreign accent, which tree the owls were nesting in - I had a couple of suggestions and wished him well on his search.

As  I moved away it suddenly struck me - he didn't want to know anything about owls - he was a Russian spy and it was a secret meet!
If only I had replied "It may be called the leg of mutton but it is really a wolf in sheep's clothing " , I could be the proud owner of some very valuable microfilm ...





No comments:

Post a Comment