Wednesday 16 November 2011

Tokyo, a Situationist walk

In 1884, the City of New York designated two acres of land to establish a bustling outside food market called Gansevoort Market, named after General Peter Gansevoort, a revolutionary war hero and grandfather of Herman Melville. In 1949, the Gansevoort Meat Center opened. Today, situated alongside the meatpacking plants are the city's best boutiques, restaurants, clubs , bars, galleries and hotels.
Welcome to the Meatpacking district, the quintessential 24-hour neighbourhood.

I started the walk from the Hudson River Park, next to the new Frank Gehry Visionary Arts Centre.


From the park, I headed up Horatio Street and tuned north up Washington Street.



Although it was early afternoon, the Coca Cola delivery man was still hard at it.


As I turned right into Gansevoort Street, I was saddened to see graffiti on important local traffic signs - the local kindergartens were preparing to empty for the day and it would be tragic if car drivers could not see these warning signs clearly.


The neighbourhood seemed to be a safe one, with alot of items of value on display outside the houses and apartments.


Local mineral water was delivered and left on doorsteps to keep cool.


I had turned left into Little 12th Street and right again into Washington Street. It was a fine day and as I turned up West 14th street, I checked my watch against the High Line clock, dating back from the times fright trains moved in and out of the meat market..


Imagine my surprise, when just on the corner of west 14th Street and Hudson, I came across The New York Prohibition Era museum, with this copy of Al Capone's vehicle from the 1920's on display at the entrance.


At this stage of the walk, I had become somewhat disorientated and had to stop a friendly passer by for directions - he suggested I go three blocks and left up Jane Street - he was very helpful despite the problems he was having in trying to force a sheepdog into his shoulder bag.



Along Jane Street, I found the building where the first ear trumpet was invented and sold.


Crossing the road and turning into 8th Avenue, I passed this rather threatening silver jeep and spotted three silver bunnies in the upstairs window, a symbol of the game and poultry businesses that used to operate in this part of the old meat market.


Turning west again, I climbed the steps to the famous Gansevoort Hill park, with great views of the city and a locally renowned cafe.


I sat down at an outside table and ordered an organic iced coffee - it was such an idyllic position I thought I would make a film of that moment in the style of John Smith's 1976 Girl with Chewing Gum.
My attempt is a poor impersonation - for the real thing see


The cafe waitress was charming - even the bill had a friendly personality!


It was time to head home, but first I enjoyed a rendition of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower by a talented if slightly odd local street musician.


The locals seem to have a high regard for their pet dogs - many are transported around in home made trollies - this one seemingly made out of old Levi jeans.


Back along Horatio Street, named after the great Horatio Nelson, who liked to buy his ships' provisions from the market and into the newly created extension to the Hudson River Park, hewn out of a massive granite rock formation.


I was home ...


No comments:

Post a Comment